We have a bit of time yet to go, but the scents of turkey, dressing, candied yams, and any number of casseroles are already sneaking into our dreams. The dinners with family and friends, the games and traditions—Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday for a reason. This year, like every other, thousands of people will take a few hours on their Thanksgiving holiday weekend to do what they love: run! Whether you’d be amazed with yourself for making it through a 5k or you look at marathons as short outings, adding one of the many races around Thanksgiving to your holiday traditions is a great idea. Here are some of the Thanksgiving runs and Turkey Trots we’re looking forward to this year:
- Sportsbarn Turkey Trot 2017 – After coming off a great year hosting the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championships, Chattanooga will be serving up another helping of hospitality and world class running at this year’s Turkey Trot. This is an 8k event with an optional three-mile walk (your dog is welcome to join you on the walk—cool, huh?). All proceeds benefit the Kidney Foundation of Chattanooga.
- Coney Island Sports Foundation 5k Turkey Trot – A cool 5k on the Coney Island Boardwalk? Yes! And this event is scheduled for November 19, so it’s perfect if you’ll be in New York for a week or so during the holidays. As a 5k, it’s just the right length to stretch your legs before days of fun with friends and family.
- Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot – This year is the 50th running of the Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot! It takes place on Thanksgiving Day at 9:00am, giving you an ironclad 5k justification for that second piece of pumpkin pie later in the day. If you’ll want ice cream with your pie, there’s an 8-mile run for even stronger caloric arguments!
- Turkey Trot Los Angeles – With 5k and 10k options, and a Widdle Wobble for the kiddos, the LA Turkey Trot has the right distance for any runner looking to make giving a part of their Thanksgiving morning tradition. The race benefits The Midnight Mission, an organization helping the homeless of Los Angeles regain control and security in their lives through job training, education, and emergency services. Plus, how else do you get to take in beautiful downtown LA without the traffic?
- Cleveland Turkey Trot – This Thanksgiving Day event has sent runners – some dressed as pilgrims, elves, or even roasted turkeys – through the streets of Cleveland for 36 years now. And the costumes are not just tradition. There is an actual costume contest for this run! Check out some of last year’s getups here. There’s a 1-mile fun run, a 5k, and a 5-mile race—a healthy start to a thankful day for runners and walkers of all levels.
Are none of these events near you? Don’t fret, there are Thanksgiving running events virtually everywhere! If you need one more thing to be thankful for this year, how about cramp-free running? You wouldn’t know about that? Well, then point your browser right over here and give HOTSHOT a try. HOTSHOT is the only product scientifically proven to treat and prevent muscle cramps. Yes, really—treat and prevent. We can’t wait to hear how it works for you. Be sure to let us know! You can find us anytime on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. We hope this holiday season is filled with all the things that make you happy—friends, family, and running. And pie.